Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Once and Future Rules - reviews of older Miniature Wargaming rules

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
 - Winston S. Churchill

[In the past Gaming with Chuck has done several article series.  There was a series on wargame types and wargaming rules (Wargaming Wednesdays), and there was a series on Traveller (Traveller Tuesdays), and there was a series on the relationship between music and gaming topics (Theramin Thursdays).  All of those were designed, primarily, to prod the editorial staff (i.e. - Me) into producing some output on a weekly basis.

The Traveller material was successful, and eventually served as the basis for two other blogs, each dedicated to specific campaigns for Traveller games.  One of those is set in the Spinward Marches, and is called the Collace Rift.  The other is set in the old Judges Guild sectors, and is called the Etzina Passage.]

This is the beginning of a new series, given that I have been working on (professionally) some analysis work on wargaming adjudication methods, it got me thinking about all the wargaming rules I've played over the years, and I thought - why not? Do some retro reviews, and have some fun relearning rulesets you played years and years ago.

So this is the beginning of a new series of articles here - The Once and Future Rules.  Reviews of older rulesets.  Presented in no particular order, but as whimsy dictates, or more importantly, as I come across them on my wargaming rules book shelves.

I think that the first ruleset I plan to pop out is "The Universal Soldier Miniature Rules" that were published by RAFM in 1977.



UPDATE [February 24, 2017]
So far the reviews completed have been:
The Universal Soldier Miniature Rules
WRG Wargames Rules 1645-1845
Valley Forge
Forlorn Hope
Dominance
Cavaliers and Roundheads
Broadsword: Wargames Rules for Medieval Battles
Chainmail
Tercio
WRG Armored Warfare 1950-1985
Overwatch
Koenig Krieg
War Cry
Seekrieg
General Quarters I

More Coming!!


No comments: