Monday, October 31, 2016

More reviews, more memories

“The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.”
                                         - Friedrich Nietzsche
As the calendar winds down on October, and slowly creeps into November, I am thinking about what I will be working on (hobby-wise) into the holiday season.  One thing is probably more reviews.

For the previous few weeks, I have been writing a number of reviews of older rulesets that I played, back in the 80s and early 90s.  These reviews are part of a series I am calling the Once and Future Rules.  This has been really enjoyable, and has brought back fond memories of what I found so compelling in wargaming, in my early years of discovering wargaming outside my own house and neighborhood.

I would like to continue this series of reviews, and some of the other rulesets I played (a lot) that I would like to cover are:

WRG Ancients (5th and/or 6th)
Shock of Impact
Warlord
The Sword and the Flame (Yaquinto edition)
WRG Renaissance Rules
WRG WW2 rules (1925-1950)
Challenger
Frederick the Great (FGU)
Guard du Corp (Rudy Scott Nelson)
Knights & Magick
Heroes and Wizards
Wizards and Warfare
Warhammer 2nd Edition
Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age
Barsoomian Battle Manual

Finally, I would like to cover some of the rulesets that were published in books that I read, and would then either play or modify for our own play.


UPDATE [January 22, 2017]
So far the reviews completed have been:
The Universal Soldier Miniature Rules
WRG Wargames Rules 1645-1845
Valley Forge
Forlorn Hope
Dominance
Cavaliers and Roundheads
Broadsword: Wargames Rules for Medieval Battles
Chainmail
Tercio
WRG Armored Warfare 1950-1985
Overwatch
Koenig Krieg
War Cry
Jagdpanzer
Seekrieg
General Quarters
Hackbutt and Pike
Angriff! 
Wargamer's Guide to the English Civil War

No comments: