First, one of the things that comes up a few times is the idea of a Pirate. Towards that end, I created a few tables for randomizing Pirates operating in and near Sphere Fenix.
Several tables are required for generating a pirate encounter. First, decide if it is a (1-3) single pirate ship, or (4-6) pirate organization. Then roll on the following tables.
|First Die||Second Die||Pirate Captain||Vessel|
|"The Grinning Star"
|"The Black Widow"
400t Armed Salvage Ship
|4||Abonar Solinga F3|
1200t Salvage Hauler
600t Pirate Raider
400t Fast Smuggler
600t Pirate Cruiser
400t Antique Trader
Some notes on these individuals.
- Baronet Laucion believes himself to be the surviving heir to the Throne of Municar, one of the original three factions that combined to make Sphere Fenix.
- Teela Racken has an all-female crew.
- Abonar Solinga F3 commands a mixed crew of Hivers and Humans.
- Chauvon believes he is the reincarnation of an ancient hero from the early settlement myths on Achmeta (1215/Olsztyn), one of the oldest settled worlds in the Sphere.
- Honer Unk is an Exotic, a curious development of mankind that has adapted, physically, to living in low, and artificial, gravities. His muscles have atrophied, but he has AI enhancements to his mind.
- Tingu Ferraeowl commands a mixed crew of Aslan and Human.
These are all dangerous criminals, who have taken to piracy for a variety of different reasons, but typically they all have ships with large (over-berthed) crews, for the purpose of taking prizes and manning them. Having extra crew helps in raids and boarding actions as well. These ships are also larger than most typical adventure class ships (usually in the 100-200 ton range), and as is typical of Pirates, have all sorts of camouflage enhancements, like duplicate transponders, and minor cosmetic changes to the hulls (performed with a minimum effort, and short amount of time) - as described for the standard 400t Pirate Corsair.
Next we'll take a look at some common pirate organizations. These are more complex, larger operations than the individual pirates listed above. Each of these organizations is like a corporation, or mercenary company. They have rules governing membership some hierarchy of leaders; armed ships, warehouses, and other equipment; arrangements with local government; and finally some planetary base (one or more).
|Die||Pirate Organization||Base World|
|1||The Red Flag||Djebeha 0810/Ark|
|2||Raider's Alliance||Parma 0910/Negoiul|
|3||The Brotherhood||Prosser 1502/Negoiul|
|4||Space Wolves||Sembilen 1606/Negoiul|
|5||Final Liberty||Taginae 2008/Souris|
|6||Star Cartel||Prudnik 1206/Negoiul|
More next week . . .