Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wargaming Wednesdays - Current projects


So, I don't have anything finished this week to post, so I thought it would be a good time to talk about various projects I have cooking along.

At the top of the list are the various projects related to my interest in the fictional wargaming setting, Balkania.  I have several imaginary nations devised, and they interact with several others of some good friends of mine.  Two of the countries I have detailed are Furstenberg and Rumpwhistle, who are (it seems) almost constantly at a state of war with each other.  So I have been working on 19th century troops to get ready to fight some solo battles (the string of actions making up the Maduro Valley campaign, in the 23 Weeks War).  I have the infantry for both sides, and the cavalry for Furstenberg, already based up and ready to go.  I have finished painting and grassing the bases for Furstenberg Infantry and Cavalry, and for the Rumpwhistle Infanty.  I have to still do the R. cavalry, and artillery for both F. and R.  I have been tinkering with a set of rules that favors "fieldcraft" or some other name, for a capability of troops to work in rough going.  The 23 Weeks War was characterized by being fought almost entirely in very rough country, and I thought it would be good to have a set of rules that modeled a rewarding battle outcome for the troops who could take advantage of such countryside.  Troops almost done, rules in progress.

Simultaneously I have begun modeling a couple of fleets of transition era 19th century fleets, to play out some of the naval battles between Furstenberg, Rumpwhistle and the Urbik pirates.  These are progressing, and I am starting to paint up the battleships and armored cruisers - pictures soon.  Rules already posted to this blog, although some modifications are coming, based on playtest with cardboard ships.

My spring semester is almost finished, and summer is coming.  I hope to do some solo Fantasy wargaming, using Hordes of the Things, and a bunch of armies I have painted up already.  Working on an activation system sort of like Commands & Colors, but for HOTT.  Maybe, maybe not.

I would like to get some of my troops for either Shieldwall or Age of Arthur begun.  They have been burning a hole in my collection catalog, watiing to be painted for several years now, a project I started and then put on hold when I was finishing my PhD, several years ago.

I would like to get troops finished and mounted for some 1700 action, again using imaginary nations from Balkania (Poppenheim and Bombastia). This action would mimic the Great Northern War, mostly, but without the addition of Piles.  I have a copy of Under the Lily Banners that I would really like to try.

OGRE/GEV mini campaign.  I started this, but I put it on hold, waiting (waiting...) for the new version of OGRE to ship.  It will have all the maps in it that I could ever want to use for the campaign, so that eliminates the need for me to do my own.  I could use the maps from Shockwave, or Reinforcements, to work this one out, but I would rather wait for the new system.

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics - I would like to pay some battles of this - either solo or via Vassal, over the summer.

World at War - I would like to get some of the add-ons to this, and play through some of the campaign type battles in the Gamer's Guide, and some of the other supplements.  On my to-acquire list are 1st Panzer, and also Blood & Bridges.

No comments: